Monday, March 1, 2010

Call Me Krishna - Bhagavad Gita III - V

In the third teaching, I was able to identify two key words; action and sacrifice. Yes, this whole lesson was based on those two terms and their influential meanings. According to Krishna, with action comes sacrifice but action is actually needed to survive. Once you take action, you make a difference and change is considered to be good for all. "Perform necessary action; it is more powerful than inaction; without action you even fail to sustain your own body." (Page 44) Here comes the part in which action is stated to be needed to sustain life. In order to sustain your own body, you must action which is much powerful than inaction. This makes so much sense because when you are still, you don't have to do anything at all and therefore, you don't require any strengths. But when you are active, you do need strength and power which explains why action is so much more powerful. This can be seen in so many ways but I think that its meaning and what is needed is already understood.

"Action imprisons the world unless it is done as sacrifice; freed from attachment, Arjuna, perform action as sacrifice!" (Page 45) Krishna is trying to say that without action, there is no sacrifice. Action was explained through sacrifice previously which demonstrates that one cannot exist without the other. Sacrifice is something one does for the benefit or honor of another. When you act do it well for one should benefit others as well as themselves and never do bad to others. You shall think upon your actions as beneficial to all and not only to yourself.

In the fifth teaching, I was able to get a clearer description of who Krishna really was which helped me create my own image of her. "Though myself unborn, undying, the lord of creatures, I fashion nature which is mine, and I come into being with my own magic." (Page 52) I also learned another key term which was knowledge and this one, was also connected to the others. Krishna is believed to be the creator of knowledge and she was the one who taught it to others including Gods. Thus, I believe Krishna is extremely powerful and superior to the rest. For her to have taught the Gods shows extreme greatness and how supreme she is to others.

So far, I understand various concepts and since these teachings were some of great importance, I would like to share them all.
1. Man should accomplish action in order to obtain knowledge. No knowledge is obtained without action.
2. Knowledge is extremely powerful and it eventually leads to peace.
3. Only those wise are capable of seeing the difference between action and inaction.
*The amount of actions compared to your inactions declares your knowledge.

You may now call me Krishna and you may be my Arjuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment