Saturday, March 6, 2010

OM - Bhagavad Gita XVII & XVIII


The teachings are getting close to the end, but for now, I would like to give a good use of the time left. In the last two teachings, Krishna is able to explain to Arjuna the differences among the divine traits to those demonic traits. Take a quick guess on which one Krishna favored. Yes, you were right. Krishna obviously favored the divine traits over the demonic since the traits contained in divine include kindness, charity, and basically, being a good human being. Furthermore, maybe even a leader. It is also explained that those demonic traits lead to an unhappy, miserable material life. People are influenced to follow the divine traits and when you do so, rebirth won't be a punishment. "All creatures in the world are either divine or demonic." (Page 128) This is something very true but however, I believe that not everyone has one complete extreme but a balance. You can't say someone is completely demonic since we all have some kind of balance and this is why I believe none of us is in a complete extreme. With that quote, we can also realize that the previous teachings were all about being a good person and following the thought to be right path.

Previously the key terms dark inertia and passion were mentioned. However, they weren't well explained for us to understand the complete concept of them. In teaching seventeen, these terms are fully explained and one new one emerges. Lucidity is this new word! For those of you that don't know what it means, it is a synonym for sensibility. Try to make it fit with the content that I will deliver below. This is what I understood from this teaching adding all the key terms and their actual meaning. When sacrifices are to be made, Krishna sheds darkness over dark inertia and passions because the sacrifices are done without faith. It is also stated that a good sacrifice is that that should "be offered with lucidity when the norms are kept and the mind is focused on the sacrificial ac, without craving for its fruit." (Page 137) In dark inertia, sacrifices are made without feeling and in passions, only the end product, or the fruit is what is really wanted.

I love meditation and I find this very interesting. I think the part that I liked the most from these teachings was when Krishna explained the sounds one makes to express different things. Some of these sounds include OM (my favorite), SAT, and TAT which are words that should be used when asking for forgiveness.

Finally, the book is over and so are its teachings. I agreed with some of it but as well, I disliked other of its parts. It didn't really interest me the topic but however, I began to find it captivating as I kept on reading. I didn't believe in it at all and this might be why I am happy its over. At the end, I learned that through learning and listening, one can learn how you should live and what you should follow as well as what you are expected to be after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment