Thursday, May 6, 2010

Trying To Think Out Loud - Genesis X - XVI: TTBA

After the Lord promises He will never again try to clean out his creations on Earth, He makes a pact with Noah and tells him to reproduce and flourish. He doesn't directly tell Noah to be "fruitful and multiply" as he once told Adam and Eve, maybe he was in a hurry or something. Or just maybe King James didn't have time to add it in the Bible, but I'm sure God meant to say the same thing.

And again, I question myself. Are we descendants of Noah for he is descendant of Seth? Continuing with the story, Noah did what he was told. He obeyed God, as oppose to the serpent and the whole previous drama with Adam and Eve. So Noah had his sons and created a family, but he, just as any other living creature, had to die. He had to leave Earth, but perhaps it was because the Lord felt lonely and He needed someone to make him company. Or it might have been Noah's chance to rest after saving the world. It was his descendants’ turn to demonstrate their cleverness and prove to God that he didn't make an error by not wiping out his creations.

After the flood, Noah's sons all lived together and spoke the same language, since they descended from the same man. They could communicate and understand each other easily in the same way that I can understand my brothers. But then, when they were trying to build a city all together in order to reach heaven, the Lord angrily interfered and came down to see them. Since He saw that everything was so easy for them and that they could communicate efficiently, He decided to rearrange things and confounded their language by making them not understand one another's speech. God also made them depart far away from one another, each to create their own nations. Yes, your heard it right! This time, it wasn't God the creator of nations and colonies, but it was men. They proved that they could be successful and somehow, succeed so much that they met some kind of those superb powers. Even though this wasn't done by God, it was obviously influenced by him in a way. Well, He's always there, He's Almighty and knows what he wants and how he wants it for the future.

"Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city." (Chapter 11:6)

This story is one of the few I actually remember from my childhood. I was told many, so many that they're just too hard to remember. But this specific one I was able to recognize quickly. However, from my Jewish point of view, I can relate this as a story with lack of hospitality to the "stranger", as my Rabbi once told me. The homosexuality isn't very present in my reasons to judge it how it is, however the commitment of crimes and sins by the Sodomites hurt me in a way. So, I realized that even though the story is written in the same way, it is interpreted differently by the different cultures present today.

One day, Abram is blessed by the Lord and leaves with his kids to the city of Canaan. He had hopes for a good future, but they were all ruined when he knew that his wife could not get pregnant. Sarai had to give Abram her maidservant, Hagar, to have intercourse with him. Hagar didn't love the idea, and she started having harsh feelings towards Sarai for forcing her to do that. However, Sarai had more power than Hagar and started treating her with cruelty which caused Hagar to leave pregnant. I didn't understand this well, but for some reason, Hagar came back to Abram and he named his child. He was called Ishamel. Oh my God! Is his son the great and famous primate from the book I had to read? Well, either he is or not, I'm sure that he was a very wise man. Or should I say Gorilla?

No comments:

Post a Comment