Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hopeless - Job XI - XXXVII

So, God allows Satan to interfere with Job's life and make him suffer, in order to prove that he was a holy person who always feared Him and would never curse upon Him. Yes, Job is submitted through this extreme test so he can prove to God his relevance and devotion towards His service. But I wonder. Why is it that God needs to receive some proof if he knows it all? Why does he have to test Job if he knows what's going to happen? I have always been told ever since I was a child, that the only one who knows what is going to happen and who is going to survive the test of life until tomorrow, was God. Our destiny is sealed by God, or so, this is what I believe.

You might have noticed how I previously referred to life as a test. But why do I see it in such manner? Well, to begin with I believe that God has chosen to give us life for a reason. He has made us go through hard but as well unforgettable and happy moments that have turned us into who we are. I think that we are here, in this world, to survive day by day and live life to the fullest. Yes, we have many ups and downs and its just like a math test, some problems are hard to solve but others are just fluent and easy. We are here for some time, the time that God wants us to be here for, but then, there comes a day in which God takes us from life in the same way that he made us get here, and its as if you got an F on your math test, as if surviving society day by day wasn't worth it.

In this same way, Job has to survive Satan's schemes. These are so many and extremely dreadful that it comes to a point in which Job is convinced that God hates him and is completely against his happiness. This reminds me of my sad moments when I wonder why that is happening to me. I begin to think that everybody hates me and I convince myself that everything I do is wrong. Here, I can definitely connect with Job. I understand him more than how I understand myself when going through hard times. But I mean, I might sound very selfish, after all he is the one being manipulated by the Devil and his plagues, while my depressions have dumb causes.

Going back to the story, Job and his friends basically talk about the origins and reasons for his suffering. His friends try to make him see his life as hopeful and encourage him to stay strong, but Job is completely lost in his own tragedy. He is extremely negative, and it comes to a point in which I notice that he exaggerates his disgrace so much that he is making himself depressed. He begs for an answer. He wants to know the reasons for he is feeling so much pain and agony. Job continues to question upon his disgrace, and ends by blaming it all on God. Personally, I believe that Job thought that God could have done something to stop it, and he felt extremely abandoned by not being helped and guided by Him. He referred to God as the author of his grief. Even though it was Satan the one who punished him, God never did something to stop him, and Job never understood why.

"My breath is corrupt, my days are extinct, the graves are ready for me." (Job 17: 1) He gives in, completely hopeless and fragile. Job can no longer live, his suffering is so strong that its as if he had been devoured by his own depression. It is no longer the Job that had once been introduced, as "perfect and upright, the one that feared God and eschewed evil." This old one, was gone, he had disappeared his own destiny.

This other Job then starts talking illogically, as I said previously, he was no longer the Job he was meant to be. He questions harshly and as if he had gained power: "What [is] the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?" (Job 21: 15) Is Job expecting something in exchange for believing in God? If so, why doesn't God punish him toughly? I mean, God did allow Satan to cause suffering to Job but after all it was for a reason. Why doesn't He continue to cause agony and pain to this being?

"Shall [any] teach God knowledge? seeing he judgeth those that are high." (Job 21: 22) He then makes himself seem powerful, and takes God's power away. He makes himself sound perfect as he was once introduced. How does he even dare to say that he is high in knowledge after asking for someone to teach God knowledge? Anyways, God had put Job into this test to prove that Job would never curse upon him, and after some time, Job reflects on this and even though he felt a lot of disappointment and hate towards God in that moment, no curse ever comes out of his mouth. "As surely as God lives, who has denied me justice, the Almighty, who has made me taste bitterness of soul, as long as I have life within me, the breath of God in my nostrils, my lips will not speak wickedness, and my tongue will utter no deceit." (Job 27: 2 - 4)

Finally, Elihu makes Job realize that what he did was unacceptable. How he doubted on Gods presence and underestimated His power was a complete lack of respect. "Behold, in this thou art not just: I will answer thee, that God is greater than man." (Job 33: 12) "[Touching] the Almighty, we cannot find him out: [he is] excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: he will not afflict. Men do therefore fear him: he respecteth not any [that are] wise of heart." (Job 37: 23 - 24) And I hope he learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment