Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Great Depression - Job I - X

Things are getting spiced up. Satan was mentioned for the first time in the whole Bible, and let me tell you, he does sound extremely evil and competitive. The image I had of "the devil" doesn't change at all when reading about him in The Book of Job. He is mean, dark, and with no doubt, causes me to shiver. Satan has power, but he uses it in an evil way. He competes against God's authority, they are completely rivals in all senses.

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." (Job 1: 1) Job, was now introduced. He is described as a very good and important person, but after covering up more about him, I notice his glory dissolves. Since Job didn't strictly believe in the Lord, the Lord decides to send him many signals in order to prove Job his existence. "While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house: And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee." (Job 1: 19) In some way, you can interpret this part by saying that God made Job's life miserable since he didn't believe in him, but you can also find its positive side and say that what God was trying to do, was educate Job and teach him that he should never doubt on the Almighty. And since then on, he believed. "And said, Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly. (Job 1: 21 - 22)

But this story continues, and I personally can't see how Job could have seen it in a positive way. All of the suffering that God caused to Job was then implemented with the interference of Satan. Taking advantage of the situation, Satan decides to get involved and make Job's life even more difficult. "So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown." (Job 2: 7) With this, we can see how mean Satan was and even though he did something very similar to God, that he even tried to follow his steps, God had a different intention. The Lord, I believe, was trying to make others feel him, to know that he existed and make it clear that he was there, even though he couldn't be seen. Satan did it for the pleasure of causing others suffering.

Job was very hurt. He couldn't get over it and was found in a state of total depression. His three friends heard about all this evil that was upon him and made an appointment together to mourn with him and give him comfort. No words were spoken for seven days and seven nights, for they saw that his grief was very great. However they tried to give him strengths, as every good friend does. "Now when Job’s three friends heard of all this evil that was come upon him, they came every one from his own place; Eliphaz the Temanite, and Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite: for they had made an appointment together to come to mourn with him and to comfort him. And when they lifted up their eyes afar off, and knew him not, they lifted up their voice, and wept; and they rent every one his mantle, and sprinkled dust upon their heads toward heaven. So they sat down with him upon the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spake a word unto him: for they saw that his grief was very great." (Job 2: 11 - 13)

The depression never leaves. If I would have been there, I would have sang something to make it disappear. I don't know, maybe a song similar to rain rain go away come again another day, but without the coming back part would have worked. But it seriously stayed there forever. As if it had become part of him, as if he had to live with it for the rest of his life. Gosh.. I still don't get why antidepressants didn't exist during that time, because they indeed needed them.

"My flesh is clothed with worms and clods of dust; my skin is broken, and become loathsome. My days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle, and are spent without hope." (Job 7: 6)
"I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul." (Job 7: 11) And so, further on all he did was complain.

"Before I gowhence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death; A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness." (Job 10: 21 - 22)
Negative, he had become and darkness was all he had.

No comments:

Post a Comment